We often get questions from athletes about when, how often and how much Osmo they should consume.
We’re going to break it down for you. While every athlete is different, we put together a basic plan for consuming Osmo Hydration and Recovery products to get the most out of your body and workout.
Built for the toughest of workouts, hot conditions or long sustained effort, PreLoad Hydration is not meant for every day consumption. It contains a high amount of sodium in order to boost plasma levels and sodium stores before your exercise to help your body stay hydrated for longer.
PreLoad Hydration regulates body heat, delays fatigue and reduces cramping.
Planning a century or summiting a mountain?
- Drink one serving of PreLoad Hydration the night before and/or the morning of.
- We recommend drinking Osmo Active Hydration during exercise, not PreLoad.
Active Hydration is the go-to rehydration mix to power you through any activity where you sweat. As you sweat, you lose body water which you need to sustain whatever your activity is – biking, hiking, swimming, running, surfing – you name it.
Proper hydration is KEY to helping you maintain stamina and drinking plain water alone is not enough, since you lose electrolytes (salt, potassium, magnesium) through sweat.
The most important thing to consider in a hydration mix is “osmolality” or the amount of substance found in the liquid. The lower the osmolality, the faster your system can absorb it and give you the hydration boost. Osmo Active gives you only what you need and nothing you don’t so the sucrose, glucose and electrolytes can work effectively.
Active Hydration can be consumed at any time, but we recommend you drink while you are exercising (hydration packs and water bottles are very in fashion) so you can stay hydrated throughout your workout. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink Active Hydration!
OPTIMIZED FOR WOMEN:
Women, listen up! You often experience hormone fluctuations throughout the month due to your menstrual cycle. As a result, you can experience fatigue and loss of energy during certain times of the month. The “high hormone phase” is the period of time during which estrogen and progesterone levels are at their peak, right before menstruation. The increase in hormones cause a drop in plasma volume by 8%, thickening the blood, meaning less blood gets pumped out with every heartbeat making exercise feel harder.
Common side effects are bloating, fatigue, cramping, soreness, increase in heart rate and core temperature. Sound familiar?
Osmo Active Hydration for Women contains a precise ratio of electrolytes to offset the additional losses of sodium and other key electrolytes during this phase to help hydrate and maintain endurance.
- Osmo Active Hydration optimized for women contains additional sodium, calories and vitamin B5 (helps break down fat, carbs and protein to use for energy)
- Added sodium helps prevent the risk of hyponatremia which is more likely in high hormone phase
- Ideally Osmo Active Hydration Optimized for Women should be used during the high-hormone phase, knowing as the luteal phase (post-ovulation, pre-menstruation)
- During the rest of the month you can use regular Active Hydration or Optimized for Women.
We get stronger after we exercise. Giving your body ample protein and carbohydrates within 30 minutes of finishing a workout will enable your body to repair muscle damage, restore glycogen and help you bounce back stronger.
Rapid Recovery is not meant to be a meal replacement, but provides the necessary nutrients to ensure the best recovery possible immediately following a workout.
- Rapid Recovery is best used when you are exercising for 2+ hours unless you are engaging in a high intensity workout.
- One serving is ample immediately after a 2+ hour workout
- Maximize the “Golden Window” when the body is primed for recovery – within 30 minutes after finishing workout.